|HOME||STUDENT PROGRAMS||HOUSING INFO||JOURNEY TO SUCCESS||FEEDBACK / QUESTIONS|
The following list is provided to you as a reference to assist you in finding a place to live while you work at JPL. Some student employment programs (especially the summer internship ones) make special lodging arrangement for their participants - make sure to check with your program coordinator to see if housing options are available for your program.
JPL is located in Pasadena, CA, in the outskirts of what is referred to as San Gabriel Valley. This area roughly extends from Altadena in the west to Duarte in the east. The following cities are in a 10-15 mile radius of JPL, and any could prove to be suitable for your housing needs:
- Temple City
- Eagle Rock
- San Gabriel
- La Canada Flintridge
- South Pasadena
- Sierra Madre
- La Crescenta
Many apartments become available routinely in the above cities - finding a place to live is not usually difficult. However, some things you should consider:
- Some apartments come fully furnished, though may cost extra.
- Roommates may help to defray the costs.
- The San Gabriel Valley and surrounding areas do have some public transportation options available, but are mostly limited to bus and light rail. JPL does have carpool and vanpool programs in most areas.
- Be aware that rentals may have a short-term rent agreement or a long-term lease agreement.
- Your rent may include the payment of some utilities - water, trash, electricity, or gas. Check with potential landlords to see what utilities you will be expected to pay in addition to your monthly rent.
- If you are staying for a short term, subleasing may be another option. Some individuals will need to leave their apartments, condos, or homes for an extended period of time and will sublet their apartment for various periods of time.